Thursday, March 1, 2007

Salary Cap increases leaves NFL free agency quite boring.



I am a Chicago Bears fan and I have to be honest I thought the Bears had lost their star outside linebacker Lance Briggs to free agency this year. Fortunately for the Bears, and me I was wrong. You see this past year the players association finally got their way. They voted to increase the team salary cap from $85.5 million to $109 million. This allowed the Bears to assign the franchise tag on Lance Briggs. This gave Briggs a mandated salary and also required other teams to be forced to trade 1st round draft picks in exchange for the rights to sign Briggs should he decide to go somewhere else. The only negative thing is now there are no big names for the Bears to pick up in free agency. What do you think, is the increase in the salary cap a good idea or a bad one?

No comments: